Thursday, August 4, 2011

Two weeks gone already

Wow, two weeks have already gone by.

I had intended to start a blog when I first arrived here in Doha, Qatar. Without my laptop though, it wasn't an easy thing to do. Better late than never.

A lot has happened since I arrived on 20 July, just nothing too exciting. Mostly it's been a settling in period.

I am now settled into a kind of routine. Work, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat. My funds I arrived with are dwindling so I haven't been able to do much exciting stuff. But that will come after the first full month of work.

For now, I just want to establish this blog.

One thing I do want to note here is my birthday which occurred on 26 July. Many thanks to Phil Green and Amy Bassett for taking me out to dinner and drinks. It was my first birthday abroad since 1999 when I was posted to HMNZS Te Kaha and we were anchored off Darwin, pre-Timor Dili Harbour patrols.

Working at Al Jazeera English is really great. The staff are a vibrant mix of people from all walks of life, predominantly from the UK. My particular role as a freelance Floor Manager is thoroughly enjoyable and I am very much looking forward to the next 6 months in this role.

The city of Doha is a wonder to behold. Until I get a good camera and funds to explore it, I'll hold off from any lengthy descriptions of the city.

That's it from me for now. I'll update again soon.

5 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to following your blog, and finding about more about life abroad. Camera, yes, definately, want to see pictures!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, for those unfamiliar with Naval terminology, a "Dit" (as defined at http://www.combat.ws/S4/SAILOR/SAILOR.HTM#letterD) is

    "Dit : (RN) A short written note."

    Also a story, a tale, a rumour, even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Damien, awesome to see it up and dah dah ditting along ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shitty timing! I spent 4 months over there just last year, would've been cool if it had coincided with your trip. I know right where the Al Jazeera building is too.

    Baz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap bro, that is the most shitty timing in our long history!!! Man what a time we would've had haha!

    ReplyDelete